F-1 Services

Health insurance is recommended for international students enrolled in IAU. All international students on F-1 visas are recommended to have medical insurance for themselves and their dependents living with them. Although IAU does not mandate a specific Health Insurance Provider, IAU is partnered with ISO Health Insurance and GeoBlue International Health Insurance to provide international students with local and affordable plans.

International Student Organization (ISO) Insurance

ISO Insurance is a pioneer insurance plan manager. ISO always strives to address the special and unique insurance needs of international students. The objective of the company has remained the same since our establishment: to provide international students with affordable insurance options.

GeoBlue International Health Insurance

GeoBlue offers trusted health insurance coverage and technology-powered services that help world travelers stay safe and healthy throughout their journeys. GeoBlue have specialized in providing global health insurance for 20 years, but it’s our commitment to serving our travelers’ unique needs that makes us an industry leader.

The University does not have dormitory facilities under its control. Housing is the responsibility of the student. There are many apartments for rent within a 1 to 10 mile radius. Many are within walking distance. Single bedroom apartments may cost $900 to $1,300/month. Many families have rooms for rent from $600 to $800/month.

Often, the office coordinates activities to help students find a compatible roommate to share expenses. They also provide information about the local neighborhoods, including popular restaurants, shopping areas, parks and recreation, and public transportation.

What is a Homestay?

A homestay is a unique opportunity for international students to live with a local American host family. In addition to providing an affordable private room with an option of two meals per day or access to the kitchen, the program gives students a chance to experience American culture from a first-hand perspective and build cross-cultural friendships.

What can I expect from my Homestay Host?

You can expect your homestay host to be kind, show care for you, interact with you, provide guidance, and help you improve your conversational English speaking skills through practice. You are usually provided meals. Frequency may vary. Your room will be furnished, have good lighting, and have an area for you to study or prepare for your day.

Home Stays*

Korea Daily
Radio Korea
ISP Homestays
American Homestay Network

*IUTS does not endorse or recommend to students or others any home stay agency or any other off-campus rental property. IUTS has made no independent investigations of, and accepts no responsibility for, the safety or other condition of those properties. No special referral or incentive arrangement exists between the IUTS and any home stay agency or outside property, and the IUTS expressly disclaims giving any guarantees, warranties, or any other representations about such properties, including their safety. Students or others who arrange for housing through a home stay agency or otherwise live off-campus must make their own personal choices with regard to the selection of living accommodations, and should individually investigate the safety and condition of any home stay arrangement or rental property. Home stay agencies and off-campus properties are provided as an information service only.

LA Student Dorm – lastudentdorm.com

LA Student Dorm welcomes international students from all over the world. Live with house mates who also came to study and explore Los Angeles. Los Angeles Student Dormitory is located in the heart of Los Angeles just steps away from main attractions and public transportation. Dorms located in a quiet and safe neighborhood. Supermarkets, laundromat, gas station, Metro station are steps away from the dorm.

10 min to Hollywood Walk of Fame / Universal Studio
15-20 min. to Downtown, USC / Griffith Observatory, Hollywood Sign
20-25 min. to Beverly Hills / Rodeo Drive
35-40 min. to Venice / Santa Monica Beach
40-45 min. to UCLA / Disneyland / Long Beach

Los Angeles Student Dormitory is perfect for short- term and long- term international students who are looking for a comfortable place to live in while studying and exploring Los Angeles. All rooms are ready to move in, furnished and equipped with things the students need.

Sweet Home California (SHC) – sweethomecalifornia.us

Sweet Home California (SHC) is an independent Housing Company that provides Accommodations in Los Angeles, South Bay, Orange County. Our Accommodations offer the best rooms options (quad, triple, double and private rooms) plus some additional services that are not anywhere in the neighborhood. No meals are provided.

We also provide Homestay around the city for students interested to have an experience living with an American family and learn the American culture, traditions and lifestyle of the family. The Homestay includes a furnished room and allows students to practice their English on a daily basis and enjoy homemade meals (breakfast and dinner).

Visit their website to check more information and photos!


Before submitting a request, contact Sweet Home California for availability for the period requested.


Reservation will be completed after the placement fee and the full deposit has been processed.

RESIDENCES Accommodations

  • Placement Fee: $170 (A non-refundable renewable fee every 6 months. Has to be paid before the move in date. The placement fee must always be paid in advance in order to reserve a room. The fee covers for all the amenities available during your stay.)
  • Security Deposit: $300
  • Rent: The expected period amount. (Check Housing Price Chart for rent price).


  • Placement Fee: $300 (A non-refundable one time fee. Exception: We do not guarantee Homestay availability for the requested period. In case a suitable match is not found, the placement fee will be full refunded to the tenant. Other than this case, the placement fee is non-refundable.)
  • Security Deposit: $300
  • Rent: The expected period amount. (Check Housing Price Chart for rent price).
  • Short-notice request: $75 (For inquiries sent in less than 21 days before the move in date.)


Once all your information and payment have been submitted, you will receive a Final Confirmation including the housing address and emergency contact information.

Aparmentlist – apartmentlist.com 

Apartmentlist has thousands of listings in Los Angeles and provides a hassle-free experience. Answer a few questions and then Apartmentlist will provide a list of rentals that match your needs perfectly. You can prioritize price, commute/distance, and any other features you desire, and Apartmentlist will provide a list to compare. The service is completely free!

Check out their Rent Calculator tool to help you figure out how much rent you can afford. You type in the city you want to live in, enter the number of bedrooms you are looking for, then your monthly household income, and finally how much you are looking to save from your income. After entering in the information, the calculator will show you how much you should be looking to spend on rent and match you with the ideally-priced apartments in your desired city.

U.S. Department of State recommends Apartmentlist.com as a trusted rental website. Start finding your dream home today!

IUTS is approved by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to accept and enroll foreign, non-immigrant F-1 students for academic degrees and English language training. The U.S. Consulates/Embassies issue F-1 Visas for all the students from overseas who are accepted for full-time study at IUTS. Rules for Visa Application may vary in each country. You should contact the U.S. Consulate in your country for the latest instructions on how to apply for a Student Visa.

Vacation, USCIS Processing, & Maintenance of Status Services (Special Cases)

Some International Students do not always arrive to the U.S. through an F-1 Visa. During their stay in the U.S. through intentions of a different non-immigrant visa, they may find the urge to remain in the U.S. and change their intentions to study full-time through F-1 Status. Applicants who take this route must apply for a Change of Non-Immigrant Status with USCIS before their current non-immigrant visa expires.

IUTS understands the importance of maintaining F-1 Status while studying in the United States. IUTS strives to assist students who have fallen out of status to regain F-1 Status through USCIS Reinstatement processing. This process may be quite lengthy an explanation through supporting documents of why a student deserves to regain his or her F-1 Status with the Department of Homeland Security. Please note, not all applicants who have fallen out of status are eligible for Reinstatement through USCIS. In order to apply, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Are currently enrolled or intend to enroll for a full-time course load
  2. Can establish that the violation of status resulted from circumstances beyond your control
  3. Have not engaged in unauthorized employment
  4. Have not been out of status for more than 5 months
  5. Do not have a history of repeated violations
  6. Are not deportable from the US on any other grounds
  7. Have been accepted or have gained re-admission into one of IUTS’ programs

Processing times for reinstatement applications vary; however, it may take as long as 6 months for the application to be adjudicated by USCIS. Students are required to register full-time at the next available session before the reinstatement process may begin. During this period, students are not be eligible for any type of employment until the reinstatement is approve and may not exit the U.S. to travel.

Students who currently have a case pending with USCIS may receive a Form I-797 requesting further evidence to process their case. In many cases, it may question an applicant’s maintenance of F-1 Status while attending our university or practical training and academic requirements met.

Students also have the option of traveling to regain status instead of applying for reinstatement. When you travel to regain status, you are issued a new I-20 for “Initial attendance” with a new SEVIS ID number. You then leave the US and re-enter using the new I-20. When you enter the US and receive an I-94 marked “F-1 D/S”, you will once again be in valid F-1 status. However, if you choose to travel to regain status, you will forfeit any time you have accrued toward practical training eligibility. You will need to be registered for one academic year in order to qualify for practical training and graduation.

Please note that although this route may be faster than reinstatement, it is quite risky. Students who have a VALID F-1 Visa may travel to regain status. However, students who do NOT have a valid F-1 Visa must return to their HOME country to renew their F-1 Visa.